Kar Yan TAM
Chair Professor Dean of Business and Management
- Adoption of Information Technologies
- Personalization and HCI
- PhD Purdue University, Management Information Systems
- M.S. Purdue University, Computer Science
- B.S. University of Illinois, Mathematics and Computer Science
Academic And Professional Experience
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Dean, School of Business and Management, 2016 - present
- Associate Provost and Founding Dean of Students, 2011 - 2016
- Founding Dean of Undergraduate Education, 2007 - 2011
- Associate Vice-President for Academic Affairs, 2005 - 2007
HKUST Business School
- Associate Dean, 1999 - 2006
- Chair Professor of Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management
University of Texas, Austin
- Assistant Professor, 1987 - 1992
- Feng, Y., Claggett, J., Karahanna, E., and Tam, K.Y., “A Randomized Field Experiment to Explore the Impact of Herding Cues as Catalysts for Adoption”, to appear in MIS Quarterly.
- Li, G., So, Mike K.P., and Tam, K.Y., “Identifying the Big Shots – Addressing the Deflated P-Value Problem in Big Data Research,” to appear in ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems.
- Ng, K.C., Thong, Y.L., Zhang, X., and Tam. K.Y., “Protecting against Threats to Computer Security: An Attitudinal Ambivalence Perspective,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 38, 3, 2021, 732-764.
- Ng, K.C., So, K.P., and Tam, K.Y., “A Latent Space Modeling Approach to Interfirm Relationship Analysis,” ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 12, 2, 2021, article 10, 1-44.
- Tam, K.Y., Feng, Y., and Lai, C.L., “Effective Use of Policing System: A Two-Stage Study over the Shakedown Period of System Implementation”, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, September 2019, 1-16.
- Tam, K.Y., Feng Y., and Kwan, S., “The Role of Morality in Digital Piracy: Understanding the Deterrent and Motivational Effects of Moral Reasoning in Different Piracy Contexts,” Journal of Association of Information Systems, 20, 5, 2019, 604-628.
- Xu, X., Thong, J.Y.L., and Tam, K.Y., “Winning Back Technology Disadopters: Testing a Technology Re-adoption Model in the Context of Mobile Internet Services,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 34, 1, 2017, 102-140.
- Chairman, Curriculum Development Council of the Education Bureau
- Chairman, Hong Kong Committee for Pacific Economic Cooperation
- Member, Exchange Fund Advisory Committee of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority
- Member, Board of EFMD
- Member, AACSB Board of Directors
- Member, Council of Metropolitan University of Hong Kong
- Member, THEi Board of Governors
- Member, Banking Review Tribunal of the HKSAR
- Member, Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing Review Tribunal of the HKSAR
Consultations And Executive Education
Consultant, IBM China/Hong Kong; Merrill Lynch(Asia Pacific); Hongkong Telecom; Tele Danmark; Hong Kong Industrial Technology Centre Corporation; Open University of Hong Kong; HSBC; Sun Microsystems; Symantec, PCCW eBusiness Solutions, and OFTA.