Rachel Q ZHANG
- Supply chain management
- Joint inventory and pricing decisions
- Interface of finance and operations
- Operational issues in wireless communications
- Optimal control with high dimensional state spacesInformation privacy and security
- Ph.D. 1994 Northwestern University, Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
- M.S. 1992 Northwestern University, Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
- B.S. 1983 Zhengzhou Institute of Technology, China, Applied Mathematics
Academic And Professional Experience
- Chair Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management and Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management, 2018 - present
- Professor, Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management, 2017
- Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2010 - 2017
- Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2004 - 2010
- Assistant Professor, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University, 2000 - 2004
- Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1994 – 2000
J. He, G. Zhang, J. Zhang, R.Q. Zhang, 2022, Blockchain Operations in the Presence of Security Concerns, to appear in Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
Z. Xu, H. Zhang, J. Zhang, R.Q. Zhang, 2020,“Online Demand Fulfillment under Limited Flexibility”, Management Science, 66(10), 4667-4685.
- Z. Xu, J. Zhang and R.Q. Zhang, 2019, “Instantaneous Control of Brownian Motion with a Positive Lead Time”, Mathematics of Operations Research, 44(3), 943-965.
- S. Wu, J. Zhang and R.Q. Zhang, 2018, “Management of a Shared Spectrum Network in Wireless Communications”, Operations Research, 66(4), 1119-1135.
- S. Wu, Q. Liu and R.Q. Zhang, 2015, “The Reference Effects on a Retailer’s Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Strategies with Strategic Customers”, Operations Research, 63(6), 1320-1335.
- G. Chen, R. Roundy, R.Q. Zhang, and L. Robinson, 2015, “New Sufficient Conditions for (s, S) Policies to be Optimal in Systems with Multiple Uncertainties”, Operations Research, 63(1), 186-197.
- A. Sapra, V.Truong, and R.Q. Zhang, 2010, “How Much Demand Should Be Fulfilled?” Operations Research, 58, 719-733.
- K. Zhu, R. Q. Zhang and F. Tsung, 2007, “Pushing Quality Improvement along Supply Chains”, Management Science, 53(3), 421-436.
- R. Chen, R. Roundy and R. Q. Zhang, G. Janakiraman, 2005, “Efficient Auction Mechanisms for Supply Chain Procurement”, Management Science, 51(3), 467-482.
- J. A. Buzacott, R. Q. Zhang, 2004, “Inventory Management with Asset-Based Financing”, Management Science, 50(9), 1274-1292.
- R. Kapuscinski, R. Q. Zhang, P. Carbonneau, R. Moore, B. Reeves, 2004, “Inventory Decisions in Dell's Supply Chain", Interfaces, 34(3), 191-205.
- H. Ahn, I. Duenyas and R. Q. Zhang, 2004, “Optimal Control of Flexible Servers”, Advances in Applied Probability, 36(1), 139-170.
- K. Frank, R. Q. Zhang, and I. Duenyas. 2003. “Optimal Inventory Policies in Systems with Priority Demand Classes”, Operations Research, 51(6), 933-1002.
- M. J. Sobel and R. Q. Zhang. 2001. “Inventory Policies for Systems with Stochastic and Deterministic Demand”, Operations Research, 49(1), 157-162.
- H. Ahn, I. Duenyas, and R. Q. Zhang. 1999. “Optimal Stochastic Scheduling of a Two-Stage Tandem Queue with Parallel Servers”, Advances in Applied Probability, 31, 1095-1117.
- M. L. Spearman and R. Q. Zhang. 1999. “Optimal Lead Time Policies”, Management Science, 45(2), 290-295.
- R. L. Smith and R. Q. Zhang. 1998. “Infinite Horizon Production Planning in Time Varying Systems with Convex Production and Inventory Costs”, Management Science, 44(9), 1313-1320.
- W. J. Hopp, M. L. Spearman, and R. Q. Zhang. 1997. “Easily Implementable Inventory Control Policies”, Operations Research, 45(3), 327-340.
Service Activities Within Profession
- Editorial Board
- Associate Editor: IIE Transactions (2005 - present)
- Senior Editor: Production and Operations Management (2008 - present)
- Associate Editor: Manufacturing and Service Operations Management (2004 - 2005, 2006 as Guest Associate Editor, 2007 - 2008)
- Major Conference Organization and Committee Chair
- Program Co-Chair: POMS International Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2017
- Program Chair: The 8th POMS-HK International Conference, 2017
- Committee Chair: IIE Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2011-2013
- Committee Chair: IIE Transaction (Scheduling and Logistics) Best Paper Award, 2006
- Program Chair: INFORMS International Conference 2006, Hong Kong
- Co-Chair: Contributed Sessions for INFORMS International Conference, Hawaii, June 2016
- Co-chair: Stochastic Modeling and Optimization of Manufacturing Systems and Supply Chains Workshop Honoring John Buzacott, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 2002
- Co-Chair: INFORMS MSOM (Manufacturing and Service Operations Management Society) Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, 2000
- MSOM Cluster Co-Chair: INFORMS Conference in Seattle, fall 1998
- Positions at Main Societies
- President: POMS-HK Chapter, 2017-present
- Vice President: POMS-HK Chapter, 2015-2016
- Secretary/Treasurer (elected): INFORMS MSOM Society, 2001-2002
- Secretary (elected): INFORMS Women in OR/MS (Operations Research/Management Science), 1999-2000
Service Activities Within HKUST
- University Appointments and Substantiation Committee, 2013 – 2015
- Senate Committee on Academic Integrity, 2010 – 2017
- School of Engineering Appointments and Substantiation Committee, 2011 – 2013
- School of Engineering Committee for Recommendation of Titles of Assistant/Associate Professor of Engineering Education, 2017 – 2019
- Dual Degree Program Search and Appointments Committee, 2012 – 2016
- IPO Program Search and Appointments Committee, 2016 – 2018
- Director: Master of Technology Management-Global Logistics Management Program (executive program), 2006 - 2007
- Co-director: Master of Technology Management-Global Logistics Management Program (executive program), 2005 – 2006
- IELM Departmental Search and Appointment Committee, 2016 – present
- IELM Departmental faculty review committee, 2010 – present
- IELM Administrative Committee of the MSc in Engineering Enterprise Management Program, 2016 – 2018
- IELM PG Committee: 2011 – present
- IELM UG Committee: 2004 – 2010